Teaching and Learning
Teaching and Learning Principles
The following principles are paramount in the delivery of high impact teaching at South Kilvington. We invest time and training into learning more about these principles to help embed them across every classroom in our school.
Our key aims are to ensure all teaching assistants, teachers and leaders will:
- Know and understand the Elevate principles for high-impact teaching
- Appreciate how the principles underpin the KUNCU philosophy
- Experience the highest-quality professional development to ensure the development of individual and collective confidence and competence around the key principles
- Be working collectively and collaboratively to embed these principles within every South Kilvington classroom
- Have access to shared resources which will provide practical suggestions around each principle
Teaching and Learning Strategies
Every day we:
Greet every child with a smile
Morning activity prepared and placed on table for every child
Daily timetable on show
Emotional self-registration check in
Silence for registers
Clap to get attention - all attention on the clapper
Use pre teaching as our primary strategy for early targeted support
Personal to each classroom but centred around high expectations and effective systems.
Trio Time is a strategy used to retrieve and reinforce previously taught knowledge to embed this in the children’s long-term memory. Trio Time is used across the curriculum.
Our structure for talk partners during inputs:
10 second discussion with a partner - surface level discussion linked to previously taught knowledge
Teacher model perfect answer to children
Modelling shared by teacher
30 second discussion with a partner - deeper level discussion linked to new learning
Our approach to scaffolding is more than just 'modelling'. We ensure children have a solid foundation of knowledge needed to be successful and then support the children through modelling and guiding to ensure they are independent learners.